Opponent Shields collision idea

Hey guys

I was thinking what should happen when shields from different teams collide? I was thinking it would be really cool if they negated each other and both popped. that would make mobile shields a weapon in taking down fire bases - you would drive a pack of mobile shields into a base to take down the shields so your weapons are more effective.

what do you think?

2 Likes

It would be cool. But in order to maintain balance, high tier shields should be hard to break that way. For example, if t2 mobile shield collide with T3 shield generator, mobile shield pops, but T3 generator loses 15%

2 Likes

This is a good idea mate, but I agree with the guy above. I can also see this being spammed in online battles as a way to get through solid defences. Maybe implement it like they bounce the unit back a certain amount from each other and deduct a percentage of the shield amount. Zero-k has a good way of doing shield bubbles where the shields share the bring of artillery attacks until they all fail. If you did this, multiple shielded units could share the percentage over all of them, as long as they’re within a certain unit radius of the unit that was hit.

1 Like

Yes, I think it would be great, but shields should lose the same amount of energy (or what the shield’s power is measured in). So if a more powerful shield (3000 energy) collides with a weaker one (2500 energy), then the weak will turn off completely, and the strong will have 500 energy left.

1 Like

I think this will have the biggest impact when units with personal shields are attacking a base with a shield. In FAF the best tactic is to run a few units under the shield and kill the generator to take the shield down (which is an awesome bit of game design btw). If these units health pools are composed of 50% or 60% shield then they are going to be paper after this shield interaction and probably die before the shield gen goes down.

E.G think 3 obsidians attacking a small sera base with a shield and not much else to defend it, they either spend about 3 minutes killing the 11000 hit point shield or walk inside it and 2 shot the generator. If they walk inside it with this sort of shield interaction they’d lose 4500 hp of their combined 8250 HP just to kill the generator faster, when a unit like an Ilshavoh wouldn’t loose any of it’s HP doing the same thing.

I think the shields subtracting there eneregy from eachother is a good direction to go

This can probably be fixed by each faction having 1 shieldless raider or whatever you want to use

One faction (let it be EDA since they are trying to strike Chosen’s weak spots) can have mobile shield with less shield capacity, but with more discharging damage when collide with enemy’s shield. Sort of a shield killer

1 Like

Good idea! I think, its will make gameplay most interesting.

Interesting ideas. I think personal shields should not count. I don’t know how to justify this lore-wise but gameplay-wise it would be great if bubble shields pop each other but personal shields dont affect bubble shields.

You could apply small bubble shields to some aircraft, or even to some projectiles. That way they have a secondary purpose as a shield killer.

1 Like

Will this process happen instantly, or will it take a little time to completely discharge the shields? Also, will such a battering ram with shields create extra energy consumption?

1 Like

Maybe you could just say that the different faction’s shields are made up of different energy types (also I imagine would look different) and when they collide they react with each other.
Some other random ideas:
It would be really cool if there was some really fancy graphics when they collided, and there would be like a ton of sparking and lightning and also I imagine it would take some amount of time.
Maybe all that sparking could do some damage? This could be interesting since you would be sacrificing your shield but maybe doing something else with it.

1 Like